Dean’s Welcome Message
Welcome to the Faculty of Medicine at Girne American University of TRNC! Your dream of becoming a doctor has just begun, and over the next six years you will have many wonderful opportunities to see a broad range of things within the sciences of medicine and health.
You will have the opportunity to interact with our faculty members who come from many different disciplines of medicine. In addition to clinicians, you will learn so much from our basic medical scientists. Take advantage of these moments to gain new experiences. Ask questions.
Do not be afraid to ask for help. Our faculty members, including myself, are always available and glad to provide mentoring and advice to you. Our staff, especially the people and resources in the Student Affairs Office, are here to help guide you through your medical education.
Collaboration and teamwork within the healthcare system is essential, and you are now a part of that important team. As our future healthcare leaders, your patients will depend on you and they need you to advocate for them. As physicians, we have a special responsibility to help address the health needs of our communities throughout the province.
While at GAU, you will build strong friendships with your fellow medical students. These friendships can have a long-lasting impact. After you complete your Doctor of Medicine degree, you will go out into the world to start your residency program training. Some of you may stay here at GAU and others may go elsewhere. No matter where you end up during your residency or as a practicing physician, you will still have a connection with the people you connect with while at medical school.
We are delighted to have you here as our newest learners.
The Medical School espouses the holistic concept of “one health”, which emphasizes the relationship between the health of humans and animals within a healthy, sustainable environment. We aim at achieving excellence in teaching, research, community service and patient care.
Prof. Dr. Barlas AYTAÇOĞLU
Dean, Faculty of Medicine
With our dynamic, innovative and liberal approach in medical education; adopting modern medical practices based on research and science, prioritizing the cooperation of medicine with other sciences; being a leader in education, research and health service delivery and a leading medical school at national and international level.
Adhering to human values, having a high level of knowledge and skills, knowing advanced medical technologies, knowing the ways to access information, and applying up-to-date diagnosis and treatment methods; communicate well with colleagues, healthcare professionals and patients; Being ethically conscious, capable of teamwork and leading qualifications, able to recognize the society in which they live and sensitive to global health problems, closely following the developments in science; able to provide the society with the highest standards, evidence-based, quality health care; To train physicians who will contribute to the national and international scientific world with high-level basic, clinical and community-based research.
1.1. Name of Program:
1.2. Language of Instruction in Program
1.3. Profile of Program
In the education program to be implemented by Girne American University Faculty of Medicine, it is aimed to raise students with superior academic qualities. For this purpose, it aims to reach the required education-training standards and to provide students with a comprehensive and international education environment and opportunities. This program aims to train experts who have international qualifications. From this point of view, it is aimed that the students participating in the program receive a high level of education and training and transform the experience and opportunities of the institution into maximum academic benefit.
Required conditions to graduate from the program (number of courses and/or credits, internship, etc.):
- Students who successfully complete six years of education are entitled to graduate with a total of 360 ECTS Credits.
- The training program profile is an integrated system and consists of Basic Medical Sciences, Internal Medicine Sciences and Surgical Medical Sciences. First 4 semesters "Basic Medical Sciences". The 5th and 6th semesters are defined as "Introduction to Clinical Sciences" and the courses are semesters. The 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th semesters are defined as "Clinical Sciences" and the courses are rotated. 11th and 12th semesters are "Family Medicine (Interna Period)" period and the courses are rotating.
- Basic Medical Sciences: Basic Biochemistry-I-II, General Physiology, Medical Biology and Genetics-I-II, Behavioral Sciences, Medical Terminology, Introduction to Public Health-I-II, Computing, Atatürk's Principles and History of Revolution I-II, Turkish Language I-II (Foreign students will attend Turkish Preparation courses during Atatürk's Principles and History of Revolution course), Medical English I-II-III-IV, Medical Law, Health Economics, Introduction to Family Medicine, Health Management, Medical Ethics I-II, General Histology, First Aid, Anatomy I-II-III, Clinical Biochemistry I-II, Special Histology, Physiology I-II, Immunology I-II, Biostatistics I-II, Sports Medicine, Biomedical I-II, Embryology, Clinical Physiology, Basic Microbiology, Medical Education
- Introduction to Clinical Sciences: Introduction to Pediatric Health and Diseases, Introduction to Surgery, Clinical Microbiology I-II, Pathology I-II, Pharmacology I-II, History of Medicine, Medical English V-VI, Clinical Genetics I-II, Scientific Research Techniques I- II, Introduction to Gynecology and Obstetrics, Introduction to Internal Medicine, Deontology
- Clinical Sciences: Internal Medicine, Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Chest Diseases, Cardiology, Pediatrics and Diseases, Gynecology and Obstetrics, General Surgery, Clinical Pharmacology I-II, Public Health I -II Urology, Cardiovascular Surgery, Ear Nose and Throat Diseases, Forensic Medicine, Radiology, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Oncology, Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Pediatric Surgery, Thoracic Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Neurology, Orthopedics and Traumatology, Psychiatry, Neurosurgery, Eye Diseases, Dermatology, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Child Psychiatry.
- Family Medicine (Interns): Community Medicine, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Internal Medicine, Psychiatry, Surgery and Emergency, Pediatrics and Diseases, Elective internship.
- In our academic calendar, semesters will last 14 weeks, Clinical Sciences 84 weeks, Family Medicine 52 weeks. The main purpose of our Faculty of Medicine is to train physicians who are indexed to the universal developments in medical science, who have the knowledge and skills to fully respond to the health problems of the society, and who are competent and competent to contribute to scientific developments.
1.4. Title of Graduates:
Medical Doctor (MD)
1.6. Employment Opportunities
Foreign graduates who graduate from this program can be employed with the title of Medical Doctor in their own countries and in countries that accept.
1.7. International Academic Collaborations
- In the agreement made with Mersin University, all students will study at Mersin University Faculty of Medicine for the final year of education.
- According to the Cooperation Agreement between Girne American University (GAU) and Antigua Health Sciences University (UHSA), students who complete their first two-year medical education at GAU with a minimum of 90 credits and a GPA of less than 2.50, complete their remaining four years of education in Antigua Health Sciences. They are automatically eligible to receive at the University of Sciences. Students who wish and meet the above-mentioned requirements can continue their education at the Antigua University of Health Sciences in the Caribbean.