SCHOOL OF TOURISM AND HOSPITALITY
ACADEMIC CALENDAR UPDATED | GIRNE AMERICAN UNIVERSITY
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, our 2019-2020 Academic Calendar has been rearranged by our Senate. Should the academic calendar require any update after 5th of June 2020; it will be shared with our students again. Due to the uncertainty of the pandemic period, two alternatives for summer school, applied courses and 3 alternatives for Spring 2020 Final exams have been planned. Students can select one of the two alternative dates for summer school, applied courses and one of the three alternatıves for the final exams according to the date of their return to University.
|Spring 2020 Lab Applications|
1st June - 5thJune
|End of Spring 2020 online courses||5th June 2020|
|Spring 2020 Final Exams:1||8th June-13th June|
|Resit Examinations||18th June-20th June|
|First Summer School Registration||22nd-23rd June|
|First Summer School||24th June-29th July|
|(Spring 2020 Applied Courses)|
|Final Exams||4th-8th August|
|(First Summer School +|
|Spring2020 Final Exams:2)|
|Resit Examinations||13th-15th August|
|Second Summer School Registration||17th-18th August|
|Second Summer School||19th August-25th September|
|(Spring 2020 Applied Courses)|
|Final Exams||28th September-3rd October|
|(Second Summer School +|
|Spring2020 Final Exams:3)|
|Fall 2020 Registration||5th-10th October|
|Start of Fall 2020 Semester||12th October|
Note: Graduation Make-up exams will be announced later.
Dear students, there are a number of alternatives on the newly rearranged academic calendar so that you are not aggrieved because of the current pandemic we are experiencing.
** Online education for Spring 2020 Semester will continue until 5th June.
** Courses with Laboratory applications will be completed between the dates 1st -5th June.
**Final examinations for online courses are planned to take place between the dates 8th -13th June.
**Resit examinations are planned between 18th-20th June.
**22nd-23rd June, First Summer school registration for students who completed Spring 2020 Semester. These students can take a maximum of 12 credits.
- Students who could not take their applied courses will be able to register to the relevant summer school for their applied courses.
** 4th-8th August, Final examinations for the students who complete Summer School 1 and students who could not sit for the final examinations of Spring 2020 Semester.
13th-15th August, resit examinations ONLY for students who could not sit for Spring 2020 examinations.
**17th-18th August, Registration for Summer School II:
- For students who complete Spring 2020 Semester and students who could not take Summer School at the 1st Alternative Summer School Dates.
- However, the applications of those students who could not complete their 12 credits and have missing credits from the First Summer School, will also be evaluated.
- Similarly, students who complete their applied courses during the First Summer School will also be able to apply to Summer School II.
** 28th September-3rd October, Final examinations:
- Students who could not sit for the final examinations of Spring 2020 Semester;
- Students who complete Summer School II.
- Students who complete Spring 2020 applied courses during Summer School II.
Decision of Higher Education Council dated 10.4.2020 for the final year students on our Nursing Program:
- It has been decided, together with the related committees of the higher education institutions, that due to the difficulties experienced, restricted to the Spring Semester of the Academic Year 2019-2020 only; internships/applied courses of the graduating students can be completed at healthcare institutions by taking protective measures as well as by applications such as distance teaching, education by simulation, case analysis etc.
Decision of Higher Education Council dated 7.4.2020 for the final year Education Faculty Teacher candidate students:
- In coordination with the Ministry of Education it has been decided that, limited to this difficult period only, and in consideration of the students having carried out their teaching practice at schools for 5-6 weeks, the students can complete the remainder of their teaching practice by “lectures, assignments and dossier preparations”.
Decision of Higher Education Council dated 13.4.2020 for the final year students on our Pharmacy Program:
- Durıng Spring 2020 Semester, Pharmacy students had been carrying on with their internship for approximately 5-6 weeks at healthcare institutions and private pharmacies.
- In consideration of the already undertaken internship and the short duration of the remaining internship period; it has been decided that, restricted to the Spring Semester of the Academic Year 2019-2020 only, internships of the graduating pharmacy students can be completed at healthcare institutions and private pharmacies by taking protective measures, at a convenient time including during Summer School. In addition, the pharmacy internships can be completed by applications such as distance teaching, education by simulation, case analysis etc. Furthermore, each program can be completed by digital facilities through distance education methods.
- The decisions indicated above may be subject to change due to the potential legal announcements that can be made at a later date by YÖK and/or TRNC Cabinet of Ministers because of COVID-19 pandemic.
- Graduation make-up examination dates will be announced later.